Re: font question

by Freda Lockert <fredalockert(at)clara.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:45:01 +0100
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Simple font question: Is there a difference, really, between Agaramond
>Bold and Garamond Bold? I've run across this a couple of times when a
>customer has given me a prototype of what they want (done on Word or
>other things), and insist on the exact font (Yes, I've done the standard
>explanation of Web standard fonts and having to put others in an image
>and all that good stuff), but anyway....it seems to be tough to find.
>Does Agaramond Bold come with certain programs? I have Miscrosoft
>Office, as does my customer, but I'm wondering if we have different
>versions.

There's so many 'Garamonds' out there and the differences between
them are very subtle they're not really noticeable even in print
unless you're used to comparing  typefaces. The 'Garamond' that comes
with MS Office, and some others, have increased x-heights so they're
better for the web than a genuine Garamond. As far as differences go,
I don't think you'd see any at web resolution, unless the image was
really big, like a 100px square image of one glyph for illustration
purposes.

Freda
--
Spaceship Earth: The problem for the passengers is that there is no
manual to identify all the parts, and no instructions on how to